Acai Bowls just make me – happy! Quote by my friend, which I completely relate with!
These last few years I’ve been scouting out Acai bowls around Sydney, frequenting cafes and juice bars to find THE-BEST-ACAI-BOWL in Sydney! In that time, there have been dedicated Acai Bowl and Super Smoothie shops that have opened up which have completely up’ed the whole Acai Bowl scene. Beyond the deliciously tasty freshness of Acai, these bowls are packed with superfood toppings like Activated Buckinis, Macca Powder, Macadamia Milk, Hemp Seeds and Goji Berries.
So what are Acai Berries and they really a superfood?
Starting with its origin, they’re an indegenous berry found in the rain forests of the Amazon. They claim it be one of the healthiest berries – claiming that it helps to prevent cancer, boost your immune system, is anti-aging, help you to lose weight and improves cognitive function. But any internet search will result in a lot of conflicting information which surrounds acai berries.
Either way, I enjoy it for it high concentration of antioxidants and B vitamins (no wonder it makes me happier!?). Plus, it’s delicious and a great way to start any day.
For a pick-me-up brekkie that will nourish you and keep you going for the day
Serves 1 | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 5 minutes | Easy
- 2 x 100g Packets Frozen Acai Pulp
- 1 Cup Frozen berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- 1 Banana, in pieces
- 3/4 Cup Nut Milk (I prefer Almond)
- 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Cup Ice
- Chia Seeds
- Fresh Fruit
- Run the frozen acai packs under tap water for about 1 minute until you are able to break the acai into 3 – 4 sizeable chunks – you can do this while the packet is still sealed but you want the acai to still be frozen and not to melt completely, so work quickly! Cut open the packets and empty into a blender.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in the blender in the order listed – I usually have the ice as the last ingredient to hit the blades to minimise the risk of the blend getting stuck.
- Set the blender on high and blend for 1 minute. Depending on how frozen your berries you may need to add a little more milk accordingly.
- Your acai blend is ready to be platted up and decorated with the toppings of your choice!
Disclaimer: Nutrition is such a highly contested area and I don’t claim to know all the answers – everything on my page is my opinion based on what I believe to be true. So please, enjoy my opinion and do your own further research if you are interested in a topic.
More about Acai Berries: https://draxe.com/acai-berry/
After more?? Check out my review on my favourite Acai Bar in Sydney Australia